Monday, April 14, 2014

Jade (Crassula ovata)

Time to showcase another of my indoor plants, this time my Jade or Crassula ovata.


I grew it from a very small cutting I got from my boyfriend's brother, likely back in 2008.  He had both a very large plant and one growing as a tree. I quite liked the look of the tree.

It is placed in one of my favourite planters. which I would agree is a bit big for the Jade, but it is what fits the best in it out of what I have on hand. As of now, the planter is doing a pretty good job at hiding the rather ordinary and not in any way interesting looking plastic pot in which the Jade is actually planted.


I only ever transplanted it once, which was a few weeks ago. It was time to move it from it's 4 inch pot to a larger 6 inch pot; it was completely root bound and I'm sure some fresh soil could only do good.


On a few occasions I thought I was going to lose it, initially because I over watered it. However, it proved to be resilient and I have since only watered it when the soil looks quite dry.


To keep the "tree" look going, I recently took off a few new shoots that I found were growing a little too low on the stem and just placed these on some soil. Two of them have started to sprout roots!

 Tiny roots!

The three Jade cuttings (and a sedum leaf)

Given that the mature one was six years in the making, I don't expect the cuttings to get tall anytime soon, but it is always a fun experience to start a new plant from an existing plant and I know this one won't take much space anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment