Saturday, April 12, 2014

Schlumbergera - Part 1

I have a small (possibly slightly out of control) obsession with Schlumbergera; namely the one also referred to Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) that, until very recently and before knowing any better, I used to refer to as Christmas cactus. The obvious difference being that Thanksgiving cactus have the more pointy ended segments (referred to "cat face" by my boyfriend), whereas Christmas cactus have more rounded edges. To be perfectly honest, I love both, it just appears that my collection does not seem to have a genuine Christmas cactus in it!

This post will focus on the Schlumbergera I have owned for longer than a year, to keep it at a reasonable length, and the more recent plants will get their own post later.

To keep things organized, I'll number the plants since I don't know any of their specific names; and because I need to start somewhere, I'll go from the plant I was the most convinced would survive after those months of neglect to the one I thought I would lose.

Thanksgiving cactus #1


Although a little flimsy, I was pretty sure this plant would make it and when it came to re-potting it, I gave it one of my favourite new planters (the colour is much nicer in person, I swear!). It has also been located near a window that face south, but that doesn't let in direct sunlight (there is shading provided by a fence on one side and a portion of the house that sticks out on the other) and it seems to love it there. The plant has perked up and the colour has gotten more vibrant and it is growing.

When I transplanted it, it actually had a few flowers that I thought would likely fall as a result, but they didn't and I was blessed with three blooms in March. These pictures were taken at the end of that month, just after the last flower was spent and fell off. Since, a few new flower buds have popped so I'll be lucky and get another small flowering out of it this Spring!

This plant is actually the result of one main branch, not multiple plants, and is more heavy on one side. However, new shoots are growing on the other side and I'm guessing it'll fill out eventually. I also have no idea when I acquired it so am clueless about it's potential age.

Showing new growths

The "other" side

Here is what its bloom looks like (I'll have more pictures in another post)



Thanksgiving cactus #2


I am fairly certain this specific Schlumbergera was purchased in early 2008, right after the Holidays, with no flowers left on it from a local supermarket that had it and a few others on a liquidation shelf (the whole set-up made it look like the plants would be thrown out if not sold by the end of that week).

Prior to being transplanted, this branch was in a pot with two or three other branches. The others obviously didn't make it, they were dead/rotting and I had some cleaning up to do prior to re-potting it. Because of the other dead parts, there was a little part of me that thought that this one might go the same way, and the segments were quite purple/burgandy looking in colour.

It is now located on a long narrow table with other plants under a east facing window and south facing patio door. Yet, it is not in direct light so it seems fairly happy. The segments are slowly returning to a more natural looking green. This might have to do with either better lighting or fresh soil bringing much needed nutrients, or possibly other reasons I can't think of.

New growths, too early to say if leaves or flowers (or both!)

 More new growths (and I'm fairly certain there is at least two potential flower buds there!)

If I'm not mistaken and this is the plants I referred to earlier, here is what hte flowers looked like in December 2008 - again, I purchased this guy to save it, did not know what colour the flowers would be. (This picture was taken under flash.)



 Thanksgiving cactus #3


This one I thought I would lose. It was very shriveled, very lanky and just looked like it was on the brink of dying. And had I lost it, out of all the Schlumbergera featured on this page, this one would have made me the saddest.

Why?

This one I grew from a cutting from my mom's plant. I've had this one the longest, although I can't remember when I started the plant (didn't note it down, seemed irrelevant back then). I re-potted it, hoping it would survive. I did remove some of the worse looking segments, so that the plant wouldn't have to focus reviving them and put its energy towards the segments that looked like they had a chance. Through the weeks, I pruned back when segments looked like they were beyond saving. On a few occasions, I almost gave up and thought I had to let it go entirely.

But then some of the segments started to look plumper. And before I knew it, it started to raise itself, holding itself taller. These pictures were taken in late March and it was on it's way to getting better, but still looks a little slouchy. I really ought to take pictures now and do a before/after post.

New growth! Flower or segment?

 More new growths!

A little slouchy but on the mend

I don't have a picture of the flowers from this guy and, since my mom had two Schlumbergera, it will either be pink or red with some white. I do believe the cutting came from the latter plant and it produces a really nice flower.

That is it for the Schlumbergera I had for longer than a year and that needed some love and attention to bring back to health. Part two to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment