Saturday, April 12, 2014

There is always a first post

I never quite know what to say when starting something new like this, and, to be honest, it's been a few years since I started my last blog.

My intention with this one is not to get a following, I really intend this to be more of a journal for myself - so why bother with a big introduction? Well, you never know how things can turn out.

It grows on me? What is it about?

Plants. The pun filled title was suggested by my significant other. Funny thing is, I've been toying with the idea of starting this blog for some time, but didn't do it because I couldn't come up with a title. I'm terrible at that. This morning I asked him what I should call it and he suggested "It grows on me". Given it is about my foray into gardening (inside and out, the latter whenever the weather will allow for it!), it only seem fitting.

My passion for plants is something I inherited from my mother's side of the family; she's always had a green thumb and I remember my grand parents having lots of plants around their house; their property was also, for quite some time, converted into a huge garden. They have since passed away and, over the last few weeks, when I rediscovered the joy I had taking care of my plants, I also found it to be a way to reconnect with them, to share something with them in a way.

Here I am mentioning "over the last few weeks" - time for a little admission. We moved into a new house in 2012. Plants I had in our apartment followed, however, as 2012 progressed (into what was a pretty bad year for many reasons), the attention I bestowed upon the plants dwindled and, in 2013, it seems like I did the bare minimum, as I was focusing my attention into getting other things in my life in a better place. Ultimately, a few of the plants died, but a few of my favourites did survive, although had I let things go for any longer, I think they were going on their way out. As the other aspects in my life settled (for the better) and in a mad dash to try to salvage the few plants that had survived, I picked away the worse parts and repotted what might be saved. Turns out, a few weeks later, all of them made it and they look like they are thriving, but more on that in other posts.

As well, because Spring took forever to show up this year, I felt like I needed some green in the house to compensate (which prompted the saving of the plants mentioned above), I added a few more to my collection. I've also tried to propagate some of the plants I have (or cuttings that were found lose in the garden center), so we'll see what those will bring.

Anyways, to wrap things up, the purpose of this blog is for me to keep track of how the plants are doing, in hopes that I won't let them get as bad as they were. And, as I like to take pictures, this is just an excuse to share them!


No comments:

Post a Comment